In search of life on Mars, the space mission took out the first sample of oxygen
NASA has made significant progress in its search for life on Mars. NASA says its space mission has extracted the first sample of oxygen from Mars.
According to NASA, for the first time, a reconnaissance mission to Mars obtained a sample of carbon dioxide from the Red Planet and converted it into oxygen using special equipment.
This success by NASA has paved the way for further experiments to make it possible to live on Mars in the future.
Converting carbon dioxide into oxygen gas can help astronauts go there as well as become a return fuel for rockets.
Following this success, a new device, called Moxie, will be used to test the conversion of carbon dioxide into oxygen around the astronaut. A device called moxie separates oxygen from carbon dioxide molecules using electrolysis.
In the first experiment, Moxie made five grams of oxygen and an astronaut could breathe for ten minutes. NASA has said that although this is a small amount, it shows that in the future it will be possible for humans to breathe on another planet.
Mars contains 95% carbon dioxide and the remaining 5% other gases, while the amount of oxygen is negligible at 0.1%.